A journey through the history of the Olympic Games.
Your personal driver will pick you up from your hotel or cruise ship, at the arranged time. Ancient Olympia will be our destination.
Olympia became the most important religious and athletic centre in Greece.Its fame rests upon the Olympic Games, the greatest national festival and a highly prestigious one world-wide, which was held every four years to honour Zeus.The prize of the Olympic Winners was a crown of olive branch. The last Olympic Games were held in 339 AD. The idea of Olympicswas revived in 1896 due to the organization of the first modern Olympic Games in Athens. The ceremony of the Olympic flame is held in Ancient Olympia until nowadays. At the archaeological site of the region we are going to admire the Massive Temple of Zeus, which is the most important building in the Altis, standing in its very centre and it is the largest temple in the Peloponnese, considered by many to be the perfect example of Doric architecture. At the far end of the cellastood the chryselephantine statue of Zeus, one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world, created by Pheidias c. 430 BC. The statue is believed to have been over twelve metres high. It portrayed Zeus enthroned, holding a sceptre in his left hand and a winged Victory in his right. The undraped parts of the statue were of ivory, while the robe and throne were of gold.
We are going to visit the Temple of Hera, Bouleuterion of Olympia, the Ancient Stadium, the Ancient Gymnasium, Palaestra of Olympia, Leonidaion, Philipeion, the Echo Hall, the Altars of Zeus and of Hera, the Baths, the Hippodrome of Olympia, the Workshop of Pheidias and many other monuments.
Then we are going to visit the Archaeological Museum of Olympia, one of the most important museums in Greece whose permanent exhibition contains finds from the excavations in the sacred precinct of the Altis dating from prehistoric times to the Early Christian period.
After a retrospection to the birth of the Olympic Games we are going to stop for lunch at one of the traditional taverns.
Our trip came to its end and your personal driver will take you back to your hotel or cruise ship.
- The price includes 1 to 4 persons. Prices are fixed and all taxes are included.
- The price does not include the cost of entry to museums or archaeological sites, food or drinks.
- Drivers cannot enter sites with you, as they are not official tourist guides.
- We are in collaboration, with official tourist guides and we can book one, if you need.
- At anytime we can stop, in order to take pictures, have a drink or food, shop or anything else that you need.
- The order of visits on the tour may change due to circumstances.
- Tours outside of Athens begin between 08:30 to 09:00 in the morning.